Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Health of Swapping tanks

Health of Swapping tanks 1 month 2 weeks ago #70278

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
Your oscar may not be susceptiple to the disease that killed your goldfish but if it were me I wouldn't chance it.

I'd drain the tank and then sterilize it. After that, there's no way i'd use the old sponge filter or anything else from that tank. One bacteria product I've recently learned for myself that it is indeed viable is the Aquaripure Freshwater Bacteria Culture. It has to be ordered online from Aquaripure and refrigerated.

Hydrogen peroxide is the easiest. This is the 3% stuff in dark brown bottles found in drugstores and some supermarkets. The ratio for the solution is 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 10-20 parts water. The tank doesn't need to be filled completely. Rinse the top of the glass and the rim of the tank using paper towels dipped into the solution. Afterwards, drain the tank. Then, rinse the tank with some water, empty (drain), and let the tank dry fully in the sun.

This way is quite a bit easier than using Chlorox Bleach (below) but Bleach is much stronger. Hydrogen peroxide simply breaks down into water so you don't have to worry about the bleach/clorine on the tank's surfaces.

For bleach, use one part Chlorox Bleach to 10-20 parts water. *Be sure to wear latex gloves and don't get bleach or even diluted bleach on your arm.* Rinse the top of the glass and the rim of the tank using paper towels. It doesn't need to sit long ... only a few minutes. Siphon the diluted bleach solution out and pour out the rest. Rinse and fill the tank with water and then empty completely. Then, let it sit in the sun for a day or until the smell of bleach is gone completely. You can fill the tank with water and add 5x the dose of prime before sitting it outside to remove more bleach/chlorine.

*NEVER mix Bleach and Hydrogen Peroxide together*
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ernie14, beretta96

Health of Swapping tanks 1 month 2 weeks ago #70296

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 177
it almost looks like a burn from an acidic substance or something attacked it..odd.
hope he pulls through
180 oscar and SD's
75 JD / Pleco
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
29 malawi
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores- BO

56 empty and willing

Health of Swapping tanks 1 month 2 weeks ago #70314

• Scott49
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
alright so its been a few days and I had to put the last one to sleep R.I.P lil guy.. he started turning black and the water for some reason was super hazy .. tested with master kit and the ammonia was 4ppm was really high... so I drained the tank cleaned everything down filled 50% turned everything let it run a few hours re drained cleaned again put media in from my canister filter filled the tank let it run a few more hours checked the levels... .25ppm ammonia 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. so I took a chance triple prime and put my guys in.. the oscars are really happy swimming more active than ever and being really personable been checking the water every 12hrs and nothing has changed so I think it should be good ill do a 20% change in a day or 2 see what I show then
3 little O's

Health of Swapping tanks 1 month 2 weeks ago #70316

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 53
sounds like the aggressive strain of Columnaris. It's an aggressive form that kills a fish in 12 to 24 hours. raising the temp slows the progression to 72 hours. It's an aggressive forum with no cure, it turns the fish black and kills the fish before you realize what has happened.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Health of Swapping tanks 1 month 2 weeks ago #70317

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 75
It appears your goldfish may have died from ammonia poisoning, with all the water changes you have been doing and still to end up with an ammonia reading of 4.0 ppm looks to be the obvious problem. As Rob167 suspected your fish looked to be suffering from chemical burn which in your case was ammonia burn.
You indicated you have seeded your filter with colonized media so you should hopefully be on the right track once again. Having a nitrate reading is a good sign even though you are still showing ammonia, this may be an ammonium reading if tested straight after a water change. Leave for 24hrs before testing and let us know your readings are. Ammonium will disappear overnight.
Will definitely need to keep on top of your nitrate levels which will be difficult with tap readings of 10ppm.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96

Health of Swapping tanks 1 month 2 weeks ago #70318

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
3 days 15 hours agoscott49 wrote:
Tank water
nitrate 15-20ppm
nitrite 0ppm
hardness is 75
alkalinity 0
ph 7.2

tap water
nitrate 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
hardness 75
alkalinity 0
ph 6.8

0 alkalinity is impossible. It's possible that your water is very soft and may have an alkalinity of ~30-40 ppm but I doubt anything lower, certainly not 0. Per your tank water example, nitric acid produced by your filter bacteria in converting ammonia into 15-20 ppm nitrate would have sent your pH crashing into the low 5s if your alkalinity were 0 ppm. Something is way off.

If your alkalinity is low (KH below 3-4ยบ) and large water changes weren't made frequently then there would have been large drops in pH between water changes which can harm your nitrifying bacteria. This might explain how the ammonia level rose to 4 ppm.

7 hours agoscott49 wrote:
tested with master kit and the ammonia was 4ppm

The 4 ppm ammonia level is what killed the fish.

Do you have any idea what else might have caused the biological filter to lose its cycle (for the nitrifying bacteria to die)? What kind of filtration and media did you have?

Do you have the API GH & KH Test Kit? I'd get one to test KH (alkalinity) and GH (hardness) since those test strips make you wonder just what is your KH is. While it's important to perform large, frequent water changes for many reasons, if your KH is very low (like mine) you also need to perform large WCs because the pH will crash into the low 5s if you go too long in between. Your only option with very low KH water is to have a mixture of some bicarbonate ... potassium or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and add few drops of it to your tank daily between water changes to prevent pH (and KH) from dropping. However, knowing the right amount to add can be difficult and you'll want to know what your KH is first. You'll also need to test your KH if you add any bicarbonate in order to know just how much will maintain the pH through the week (without raising it) so the API GH & KH test kit is a must have.

API GH & KH Test Kit for $8.39 free shipping
eBay item number: 222295024792

Most are around $10 with faster shipping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ernie14, beretta96

Health of Swapping tanks 1 month 1 week ago #70328

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
When you did the 50% percent water change, did you unplug the filter first or did you keep it running?
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

Health of Swapping tanks 1 month 1 week ago #70345

• Scott49
blackcougar wrote:
When you did the 50% percent water change, did you unplug the filter first or did you keep it running?

i shut it off when i do water changes .... so the filter dont suck up all the stirred up water and its sucked out by the hose...

the oscars are doing great in the new tank.. since adding the sponge filter to the tank the extra filtration as the water crystal clear and testing great...

i would like to see higher nitrates but that will come in time take a few weeks for everything to settle down and grow in and since im running bare bottom may take a little longer ...
3 little O's

Health of Swapping tanks 1 month 1 week ago #70347

• Scott49
i also have another question... my guys are coming up to 1 year old... and seems like the last 4 months they havnt grown at all.. what size should they be at for 1 yr old...

my smallest guy is about 3.5-4" and the biggest is 4.5-5 "

tried to get a picture but they never stay still and always comes out blury
3 little O's

Health of Swapping tanks 1 month 1 week ago #70348

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Your Oscars? eight to ten inches. Then they slowly grow between 12 to 14 inches to age five.....

I made this video and titled it Growing stages of an Oscar. This video should give you a good idea on big they get within the first year.

My first Oscar was a giant pushing between 10 to 11 inches the first year.

Drifter was around eight to nine inches by the end of the first year.

They grow at their own rate but really should've been bigger then 3.5 to 4.5 inches.... What do you feed them and how often?
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds