Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Health of Swapping tanks

Health of Swapping tanks 5 months 1 week ago #70239

• Scott49
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
OK so i have a 55 gallon goldfish tank at my house and a 95 gallon oscar tank at my office..
to cut a long story short im in the process of buying another company and expanding my business so im going to be out of town quite a bit..

So 3 days ago i did my regular 50% weekly change on the goldfish tank.. well within 2hrs of the water change the goldies where on the bottom hardly moving and heavy breathing.. i did a quick water test and all the levels were great .. nothing different in water quality than normal... well i let it go for a few hrs while i went to do groceries. came back and 3 of the 5 had died... so i was confused as to why so i did another 30% and put new filters in the tank and double dosed the prime... well now comes the morning and another had died and the last guy is barely hanging on.. did a bunch of research more water test and i cant find anything wrong.. well as i type this the last guy is really on his last leg i dont think he will make it through the night....

so my question is how can i test to see if there is any disease in the water that came in via the water change...

i would like to drain the tank clean everything down re fill it add my canister filter plus my penguin 350 and put the oscars in so my wife can feed and keep an eye on them while im out of town...

any help in this matter would be great im out of ideas
3 little O's
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Health of Swapping tanks 5 months 1 week ago #70241

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 111
You're sure the equipment used for the water change wasn't used for something else that could have contaminated your WC equipment?

Health of Swapping tanks 5 months 1 week ago #70242

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 81
If water being added is drastically different from tank water can cause osmotic shock. Is your water supply from town or tank?
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Health of Swapping tanks 5 months 1 week ago #70243

• Scott49
positive kept under the cabinet under the tank... tank has been up and running for exactly 1 yr cause fb told me the fish where 1 year old yesterday so i dont think its a cycle or filter issue i added a sponge filter to the tank about a month ago but everything seemed to be fine actually help polish the water crystal clear
3 little O's

Health of Swapping tanks 5 months 1 week ago #70244

• Scott49
Town water ...
3 little O's

Health of Swapping tanks 5 months 1 week ago #70245

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 56
disease in the water doesn't happen that quickly

What are your numbers and test the water coming directly from the tap water on here as well. Need to start ruling out possibilities.

I added a sponge filter to my 65 and it caused a min cycle to take place. Ammonia spiked the end of the first week. Please post your numbers.,
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Health of Swapping tanks 5 months 1 week ago #70253

• Scott49
Tank water
nitrate 15-20ppm
nitrite 0ppm
hardness is 75
alkalinity 0
ph 7.2

tap water
nitrate 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
hardness 75
alkalinity 0
ph 6.8

im using the 5 in 1 test kit as my api master is at my office and for got to bring home so i use this one as a back up... seems to be exact same as my api when i do a back to back test to confirm if things are spiking...
3 little O's

Health of Swapping tanks 5 months 1 week ago #70254

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
Did the last goldfish make it through the night? I find it really crazy for almost an entire tank to be wiped out in under 24 hours, following a water change; it makes me strongly suspect contamination or a big swing in water parameters. You said it took 2-5 hours for the first three to pass, one followed the next morning, and 3 days later the third guy is just holding on? Just want to make sure I understand correctly.
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

Health of Swapping tanks 5 months 1 week ago #70256

• Scott49
Yes you got it right.. he is still alive barely.. ive notice some major loss of color and he twitches alot when he tries to swim...MarshyMellowFluff wrote:
Did the last goldfish make it through the night? I find it really crazy for almost an entire tank to be wiped out in under 24 hours, following a water change; it makes me strongly suspect contamination or a big swing in water parameters. You said it took 2-5 hours for the first three to pass, one followed the next morning, and 3 days later the third guy is just holding on? Just want to make sure I understand correctly.
3 little O's

Health of Swapping tanks 5 months 1 week ago #70257

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 111
Thinking out loud......
  • Weekly 50% water changes wouldn't likely be causation for osmotic shock. The fish would've been adequately conditioned to handle the newly introduced minerals.
  • There is surety the equipment used to perform the water change wasn't contaminated since the last time it was used.

The only other things I can think of are:
1. The temperature of the new water was significantly different than the tank water being removed - causing some sort of temperature related shock similar to what happens to a human when they are suddenly introduced to drastically different environmental temperatures.
2. There is/was a poisonous contaminate in the water that you've been unable to identify due to not having the necessary water testing equipment.

Other than the above....I'm currently at a loss.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds