Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oscar not eating/Spitting out food

Oscar not eating/Spitting out food 3 weeks 3 days ago #70192

• Noah.B
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hey
My Oscar is around 5in and I've had him for around 4 months, he is in a 150L tank (I know I will have to upgrade eventually) with no tank mates.
Over the past 2 weeks when I've gone to feed him and he has been enthusiastic to be fed and quickly swims to the pellet as soon as it is dropped in the tank. But as soon as the pellet is in his mouth he spits it out and doesn't even attempt to chew or eat it. Its not that he wants to eat another pellet in the tank because I only drop one in at a time. he will eat and spit out the same pellet around three times before losing interest in it. I have tried to starve him and didn't drop anything in his tank multiple times for 3-4 days but still didn't have any luck, I went out and got some different types of food (brine, sinking pellets, larger pellets) and even with that still had no luck. the only thing I can get him to eat is blood worms but I know that's not a staple diet (I've only given him less than half a block once during the 2 weeks)
I cant think of any thing that would have changed for him to do this apart from i added a small air stone into the tank a day or two before he started spitting out food but seems unlikely. I know Oscars often go off eating for a few days just getting a few too many for my liking.

water quality
nitrite: 0ppm
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrate: 0-10ppm

Cheers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar not eating/Spitting out food 3 weeks 3 days ago #70194

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 103
:welcome:

He won't starve himself. When he gets hungry enough, he'll eat what you feed him. The fact that he quickly grabs the pellet seems to indicate his issues are due to him being picky rather than anything biological. However, just to be sure....
1. How is his current behavior compared to when he was a hearty eater?
2. Do you notice any uncharacteristic lethargy?
3. Does his gills look peach/pink?
4. Is there anything about his eyes, head, mouth or fins that seem abnormal compared to when he was eating well?
5. What does his feces look like....any stringiness associated with his recent droppings?

Your water parameters look great.
1. What kind of filtration do you have?
2. How often do you clean the media contained inside your filtration?
3. What is your water change schedule....how often & how much water do you change?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96

Oscar not eating/Spitting out food 3 weeks 3 days ago #70195

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 397
4 Months and only 5 inches while the minimal selling size is most likley 2 or more 2.5 to 3 inches. Do you see in waht kind of direction this moved?

A 5" Astronotus what is still a very young juveile normally can not eat enough. After any meal you should see his belly growing.
150 Liters tank can't provide an healthy Oscar. Not on raising reasons or long term. Only temporary and with massive maintaince.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar not eating/Spitting out food 3 weeks 3 days ago #70196

• bloodmourn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 169
What size is the pellet? What brand?

Oscar not eating/Spitting out food 3 weeks 3 days ago #70197

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 897
With good water quality, a 5 inch oscar should not stop eating. If there has been no change in diet (same brand pellet he's been eating before) then I would be concerned about the onset of Hex, of which showing an interest in food and then spitting it out is a classic symptom. However, it's also a symptom of a change in diet (food taste different). Change in Diet? Show tough love, they will come around. Hex? Need to dose with SeaChem MetroPlex (or another metronidazole based med). I use the SeaChem product because I've had decent luck using it when the fish is not eating.

If you are more adventurous and don't mind playing fish doctor, Hex can also be treated with Epsom Salt. If Metro treatment does not work (Metro should really be taken internally to be the most effective, although using the SeaChem product I have turned around many a fish), this would be the next step
www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/thread...spironucleus.339362/
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96, beretta96

Oscar not eating/Spitting out food 3 weeks 3 days ago #70203

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 52
he'll eat blood worms? will he still eat blood worms today and not the pellets? Try presoaking the pellets for a few minutes before feeding him, maybe try soaking them in garlic. it's possible he's turned picky.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Oscar not eating/Spitting out food 3 weeks 3 days ago #70207

• Noah.B
  • Poecilia reticulata
he has no abnormalities I can see. I do a weekly water change and have never had any spikes with that maintenance although I have not changed the filter sponge yet.
he hasn't changed any of his behaviours from when he was eating fine apart from the not eating. and his faeces looked fine although i haven't seen any in the tank for this week.

Oscar not eating/Spitting out food 3 weeks 3 days ago #70208

• Noah.B
  • Poecilia reticulata
I gave him some blood worms before he went off food but apart from that there was no change in diet

Oscar not eating/Spitting out food 3 weeks 3 days ago #70211

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 52
not the blood worms. I've given Drifter blood worms and it's never hurt him. He loved blood worms and so does my Betta Isaac. That's not the issue.

Have you attempted to feed him blood worms since he stopped eating? It's possible he wants the worms instead of the pellets, that's what I'm wondering. If that's the case, then you'll have to wait him out until he eats the pellets.

I know Oscars can occasionally be picky eaters. One I could feed fruit and vegg to and the next one would only eat algae wafers. He would eat the pellets and meat no veggie or fruit though. He wouldn't touch it.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Oscar not eating/Spitting out food 3 weeks 3 days ago #70213

• Noah.B
  • Poecilia reticulata
yeah that's what I was thinking as well as I fed him blood worms for the first time just before he stopped eating. I fed with blood worms once since he stopped eating and he ate them fast.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds