Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help with my new baby oscar.

Help with my new baby oscar. 5 months 1 week ago #69548

Just got him yesterday(tiger one). And he was fine and beautiful in the lfs but today i woke up and he has those strange white things. Could it be fungus or ich? Here is a link to short video of him
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help with my new baby oscar. 5 months 1 week ago #69549

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
Firstly :welcome: you're in the right place to get great information and help for your fish.

Hard to tell from the video but it looks a lot like he's had the sh1t kicked outta him. Can you try to get some clearer images?

If you could answer a few questions it will help us to help you.

What else is in the tank? Is everything else in the tank healthy?
What size is the tank? How long has it been established?
What filtration is being used?
What are your water parameters-Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (please give actual numbers-simply saying water is good is meaningless), are you using a quality liquid test kit such as API?
What is your maintenance schedule?
Have you recently added anything else to the tank, plants, decor etc

Sorry for all the questions but it is important to build as full a picture as possible of your aquarium.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZippyTheSnake

Help with my new baby oscar. 5 months 1 week ago #69550

What else is in the tank? Is everything else in the tank healthy?
2 other oscar twice as big as him, 2 4 line catfish, 1 red terror the same size as him, everything else if healthy and strong.
What size is the tank? How long has it been established?
55. the tank has eben going for over a month and i just did a big change were i removed all the substrate. so it had a 100% water change.
What filtration is being used?
Right now i use a marileland emperor 400 with quilt batting.
What are your water parameters-Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (please give actual numbers-simply saying water is good is meaningless), are you using a quality liquid test kit such as API?+

What is your maintenance schedule? Weekly water change of 20 gallons of water

NOTE: THIS IS A GROW OUT TANK, PREVOUSLY IT ONLY HOSED THE 2 BIGGER OSCAR. I HAVE A 150 GALLON READY TO GO FOR AS SOON AS THEY GET BIGGER.

Help with my new baby oscar. 5 months 1 week ago #69551

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 75
Hard to say from the video but could be the result of bullying from the other Oscars. Have you seen signs of aggression? With so many fish in such a small tank looks to be the obvious problem.
Long term I think you need to decide what fish you wish to keep.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Help with my new baby oscar. 5 months 1 week ago #69552

You dont think all these fish will be fine in the 150 gallon?

Help with my new baby oscar. 5 months 1 week ago #69553

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 105
ZippyTheSnake wrote:
You dont think all these fish will be fine in the 150 gallon?
:welcome:

No a 150 gallon will be way too small for the adult sizes of all those fish. Fish tanks should be stocked based on the adult size of its occupants.

If the Oscars are your priority fish, a 150 gallon would be adequate for only two of those Oscars....the other Oscar, the four catfish and red terror will need to be moved to different tanks or rehomed.

It also looks like your tank isn't cycled, which is going to make the next couple months very labor intensive or all of the fish contained therein will suffer long term affects from the ammonia and nitrite poisoning to which they'll be subjected - if they are able too survive.

You should read up on how the nitrogen cycle and cycling a tank.

I'll leave it to the more experienced posters to speak to your little Oscar's injuries/infection.

You've come to a great place that has lots of very experienced folks who're willing to help you optimize your situation. :greet:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96, Ernie14, muddybear, ZippyTheSnake

Help with my new baby oscar. 5 months 1 week ago #69554

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 75
Great reply beretta,
I have 2 female compatible Oscars in my 150g and could not imagine adding any more fish.
Oscars can reach 12 to 14 inches, red terror up to 14 inches and then the catfish between 8 and 10 inches.That is a bio load that would be extremely difficult to maintain.
Then you need to deal with aggression, 3 Oscars is rarely going to work, if they are all males...game over. Red terror highly aggressive hence the name, catfish not much of a problem. As beretta said we are here to help, might be an idea to get the 150g set up and separate some of these fish before this problem escalates.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars
The following user(s) said Thank You: muddybear, ZippyTheSnake

Help with my new baby oscar. 5 months 1 week ago #69558

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
I'm with Ernie and beretta I'm afraid-far too many fish for a small tank. 150 would be fine for 2 Oscars but that would be fully stocked.

Looking at your water test it's pretty clear that your tank isn't cycled-this means that your filter is unable to remove harmful toxins from the water, a problem that will be amplified with such a small water volume and heavy stock.

Your ammonia reading looks to be about 0.5 you can help combat this by dosing with prime in order to detoxify the ammonia present.

I would suggest that you also need to be changing 75/80% of your water daily in order to keep up with the demands of your tank.

Do you clean or change the media in your filter? If so-don't. You need to allow some time undisturbed for your bacterial colonies to develop and establish.

As for your sick/beaten up Oscar-If it is bacterial or fungal I will defer to others as I have no experience of this. If it is just "war wounds" it will heal with time and clean water-the problem you will have is that your water will not be ideal for some time yet, this may well slow down the healing process or possibly contribute to secondary problems.

Do you know anyone else with a tank? Could you beg/steal/borrow some media from an established filter in order to help move your cycle along?

Keep us up to date on your progress-we're all here to help.

Help with my new baby oscar. 5 months 1 week ago #69559

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Just re-reading, I must have missed where you mentioned you had a "150 ready to go"

In that case-move your fish now and allow your filter to cycle on the 150. You will still have too much stock and it will need thinning out pretty soon but you will have a much better shot at staying on top of the water in the meantime. If you have a 150 sitting idle there really is no reason to house your fish in a 55!

Providing 3x the water volume will only benefit your fish-you will still need to dose with prime and do large and frequent water changes until cycled but it will make your task so much easier. The extra space will also help you combat any aggression issues-it won't cure the problem but it will allow you to provide more hiding spots for your fish.

If you can get another filter to add to the larger tank that would also be a bonus.

You also have the option of keeping your sick/injured fish in a separate (hospital) tank-obviously this will also need to be fully cycled in order to be effective.

Help with my new baby oscar. 5 months 1 week ago #69560

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 403
That fish in the background don't look like a Goldssaum or GT but more as some kind of Amphilophus or Mayaheros.

If the Oscar on the Video also looked like this after the first night and was just fine as you bought him i would bet money on that he will not make it till sunday. At least it is very likley that the other Oscars will kill him.

They are may cute as Babys but not very social as juvies until you don't keep them by a dozen and select but you are allready way overstocked.

I doubt this stocking can be keeped permanent but if yes this would need an tank in the 300+ Gallon region.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds