Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: One Oscar + One Severum...?

One Oscar + One Severum...? 1 week 4 days ago #69203

• JAX3000
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks again Freshy...

This is confusing!

I guess if I'm doing maximum percentage WWC I may be able to keep things under control without the need for extra filtration. I could then monitor it and act according to what is needed in reality.

I must confess, filtering every drop of water before it even goes in the tank is a big pain, and if the fish (as mine currently appear to be) are happy with 30 - 50ppm then I don't know if I'm over doing it...!

I still dont even know if this is a good idea or not.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

One Oscar + One Severum...? 1 week 4 days ago #69208

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 183
I would seriously recommend trying to lower your source water nitrate. Secondary for fish, but more importantly, its dangerous for you and your family. Regarding fish, Oscars indeed, prolonged exposure to toxins will take its toll. You see what you think are healthy, happy fish, but sometime around age 4-6yrs, which is really less than half life expectancy the fish will have ongoing health issues. Could even just die off without signs of trouble. There is a valid reason for the recommendation to keep tank nitrate under 20ppm. More than that will spell trouble down the road.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JAX3000

One Oscar + One Severum...? 1 week 1 day ago #69294

• JAX3000
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok, you're right, I must remove all nitrates prior to water entering the tank... I now like the look of this www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/acatalog/8.5-Litre-Capacity.html

With some of this Purolite A520 Nitrate Selective Resin www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/acatalog/Resin.html

Hooked up like this   www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/acatalog/hma_warm-water.html

I would then monitor nitrate levels in the tank and intend to manage this with large water changes, using my shiny new nitrate free water. If that doesn't work, I'll add a reactor filter or buy a larger tank (or both), or lose the Severum...

This may all be a while off yet, so hopefully by then I'll have space for an additional larger tank, but if not, I think I'd give it a try in my existing tank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds