Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: █░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING

█░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING 6 months 1 week ago #69188

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 75
What size is your quarantine tank?
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars
The administrator has disabled public write access.

█░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING 6 months 1 week ago #69195

• PatricktheOscar
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 1
blackcougar wrote:
you can. but you might lose plants if you do. Plants don't do well when the tank is being medicated. It's up to you how you want to handle the medicating part.

yea it will be initially set up as a quarantine tank, but once he heals I'll reduce the meds and add all the plants back.

█░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING 6 months 1 week ago #69196

• PatricktheOscar
Ernie14 wrote:
What size is your quarantine tank?

It was sold to me as a 75 but it's taller so I think its 90

█░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING 6 months 1 week ago #69197

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 75
Not sure I can see any benefit moving your Oscar from a 75g to another tank about the same size? in fact quite stressful for your fish being moved, I would leave in the original tank and aim to keep your Nitrates under 10ppm.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

█░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING 6 months 1 week ago #69198

• blackcougar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 54
a 90 gallon is 48 x 18 x 24 if this sounds about right, then it's a 90 gallon The difference between a 90 and 75 is the height. a 75 is 21 inches in height vs a 90 which is 24 inches in height.

how is the fish doing? Is he showing any improvement?
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

█░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING 6 months 1 week ago #69241

• PatricktheOscar
Ernie14 wrote:
Not sure I can see any benefit moving your Oscar from a 75g to another tank about the same size? in fact quite stressful for your fish being moved, I would leave in the original tank and aim to keep your Nitrates under 10ppm.

Well if it's stressful and I'm already planning on moving him to a quarantine tank, I might as well leave him there. Normally, he handles being scooped out pretty well.

█░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING 6 months 1 week ago #69242

• PatricktheOscar
blackcougar wrote:
a 90 gallon is 48 x 18 x 24 if this sounds about right, then it's a 90 gallon The difference between a 90 and 75 is the height. a 75 is 21 inches in height vs a 90 which is 24 inches in height.

how is the fish doing? Is he showing any improvement?

A little bit. But he has had HITH before (not as many holes, but were the same size), but when I cured him it was almost like it was never there. So I'm hoping his holes will clean up enough. Like to where they won't be noticeable to the untrained eye.

█░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING 6 months 1 week ago #69263

• tom
  • Thank you received: 230
I don't think this is HITH based on your responses.
I recommend you try Kmuda's bacterial pitting treatment.

www.oscarfish.com/healthdisease/117-bact...tting-treatment.html

Medications

You need three med's (plus salt, I use Canning Salt):

Seachem NeoPlex
Seachem KanaPlex
Seachem Paraguard
Canning Salt (although any salt will work)

Use each med for a 1 week run, with the salt used during the duration of treament as well as post treatment. If the fish is eating, start with the NeoPlex. If he is not, start with KanaPlex.
Treatment Process

Step 1: Perform a large water change, introducing a salt dosage of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.
Step 2: Dose with NeoPlex. A single dose of NeoPlex is good for 1 week.
Step 3: After this week, perform another nice large water change, still maintaining the salt dosage.
Step 4: Dose with SeaChem KanaPlex. KanaPlex is dosed every other day. So dose, wait a day, perform a medium water change (still maintaining the salt dosage), dose again, wait a day, another medium water change (still maintaining the salt), and dose again. Wait a day, perform another medium water change, and dose with SeaChem ParaGuard (step 4)
Step 5: Paraguard is dosed daily. I would perform a decent water change midway through the week.

Additional Treatment Notes:

You maintain the salt dosage throughout the treatment and for several weeks following.
As previously mentioned, if the fish is not eating, flip steps 1 and 2, starting the dosage with KanaPlex.
If you see dramatic improvement after any of the treatments, repeat that treatment for another week before moving on to the next treatment.

Both NeoPlex and KanaPlex are a bit difficult to size. A 5 gram container of KanaPlex is enough for 1 dosage of my 120 gallon tank (actually, it's a bit more than enough). A 10g container of NeoPlex is enough for 1 dose on the same tank.

You also need to order enough medications for repeated treatments. My Oscar, after the first round of treatment, appeared to a have a complete cure, only to have the issue rebound again a few months later. Subsquent treatments appear to have resolved the problem in that he has been pit free for the better part of a year and the last two “scrapes”, which always brought on the onset of subsequent pitting, have healed on their own (without additional treatment).
6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Chocolate, Rotkeil Severum
10 Siver Dollars

█░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING 6 months 1 week ago #69298

• PatricktheOscar
tom wrote:
I don't think this is HITH based on your responses.
I recommend you try Kmuda's bacterial pitting treatment.

www.oscarfish.com/healthdisease/117-bact...tting-treatment.html

Medications

You need three med's (plus salt, I use Canning Salt):

Seachem NeoPlex
Seachem KanaPlex
Seachem Paraguard
Canning Salt (although any salt will work)

Use each med for a 1 week run, with the salt used during the duration of treament as well as post treatment. If the fish is eating, start with the NeoPlex. If he is not, start with KanaPlex.
Treatment Process

Step 1: Perform a large water change, introducing a salt dosage of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.
Step 2: Dose with NeoPlex. A single dose of NeoPlex is good for 1 week.
Step 3: After this week, perform another nice large water change, still maintaining the salt dosage.
Step 4: Dose with SeaChem KanaPlex. KanaPlex is dosed every other day. So dose, wait a day, perform a medium water change (still maintaining the salt dosage), dose again, wait a day, another medium water change (still maintaining the salt), and dose again. Wait a day, perform another medium water change, and dose with SeaChem ParaGuard (step 4)
Step 5: Paraguard is dosed daily. I would perform a decent water change midway through the week.

Additional Treatment Notes:

You maintain the salt dosage throughout the treatment and for several weeks following.
As previously mentioned, if the fish is not eating, flip steps 1 and 2, starting the dosage with KanaPlex.
If you see dramatic improvement after any of the treatments, repeat that treatment for another week before moving on to the next treatment.

Both NeoPlex and KanaPlex are a bit difficult to size. A 5 gram container of KanaPlex is enough for 1 dosage of my 120 gallon tank (actually, it's a bit more than enough). A 10g container of NeoPlex is enough for 1 dose on the same tank.

You also need to order enough medications for repeated treatments. My Oscar, after the first round of treatment, appeared to a have a complete cure, only to have the issue rebound again a few months later. Subsquent treatments appear to have resolved the problem in that he has been pit free for the better part of a year and the last two “scrapes”, which always brought on the onset of subsequent pitting, have healed on their own (without additional treatment).

Ok i'm definitely not jumping to a new conclusion, but I will do some research on this.

█░█Oscar hole in the head NOT HEALING 6 months 6 days ago #69311

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of the HITH or bacterial pitting but the links on the first page aren't showing. Can you post the links to some images?
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds