Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how fast do they grow.0

how fast do they grow.0 1 year 11 months ago #64959

• Tim 68
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hello there. .Just wondering how big could I expect my Oscar to grow in twelve months. His currently about two inches long. .I've had him a month. . Thanks. .
The administrator has disabled public write access.

how fast do they grow.0 1 year 11 months ago #64964

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 89
It can depend a lot on genetics but most importantly it will be the conditions they are kept in.
A healthy Oscar should get to about 12inches in about 12-18months. Some will get a lot bigger, we have a member here Northstar5 who has a 16inch beast but that is kept in a 125gallon tank with heaps of filtration.
Can you tell us a bit about your set-up? Particularly tank size, filtration, tank mates if any, and importantly water parameters?
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

how fast do they grow.0 1 year 11 months ago #64973

• Tim 68
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hello Ernie . Mate I've rushed into it. .didn't think it was so complex owning a dam fish.
His in a two foot tank now. . I did buy two at the time. . But the tiger died.
I've since bought two cheap tanks from blokes at work.
I've got a 50 gallon four foot tank. Which cost 50 bucks. But no stand.
And a 3 foot one which his only 10 litres smaller but it's wider and higher than the 4 foot. And that came with a stand. .and a filter and heater for 100. . I previously had bought a heater and asked for a filter for a four foot tank. At the pet shop. Lol.
So I'm at work in my break now and don't remember the names of them. . But I can check once home. . Since Sunday night I've half filled the 3 foot and have had the filter going and have added two buckets out of the two foot tank. .
As for water perimeters? I don't know.. .
I don't know much do I??so take it easy on me im only learning . . .
The Oscar I have seems very happy though and content at the moment. I know that doesn't mean everythings ok. . But at least his still there. .

how fast do they grow.0 1 year 11 months ago #64974

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 438
Easy rules of thumb, Astronotus ocellatus grows to quick to tell yourself that you Upgrade later, with good are the fish is around 20/24 cm after 12 months after buying him.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

how fast do they grow.0 1 year 11 months ago #64978

• elijah
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Ernie,

The bigger the tank the better for an Oscar. I prefer to keep my oscar in a 120 gallon tank all by himself and he is thriving.

I still do 90% weekly water changes. I have a lot of filtration (one FX6 and one AC110).

You are correct that there is alot more that goes into keeping fish than most people understand. It is not a cheap hobby and it certainly isn't for someone who does not have the commitment to dedicate the time and resources to maintaining a tank.

I wish you luck with your fish. Can't stress enough that it is imperative that you get him at least a 90 gallon tank or even better a 120 gallon. Don't put any other fish in with him.

My fish was a year old in May 2016 and He is over 13" right now and very, very thick bodied. Just a gorgeous fish. Good care really does pay off.

how fast do they grow.0 1 year 11 months ago #64983

• tom
  • Thank you received: 236
Oscars seem to grow so fast that if you watch them real close, you can almost see them grow.
:snicker:
6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Rotkeil Severum 10 Silver Dollars

how fast do they grow.0 1 year 11 months ago #64989

• Tim 68
  • Poecilia reticulata
Ok I'm back again. ☺
Thanks for the input last time. .
But I need more advice please. .
I'm confused on what filter to buy. I've been reading all about them and I'm a bit lost. . I'd rather just go with someone who owns ones advice. . I've One Oscar soon to go in a 50 gallon, or its close enough. . I do have two filters already but they just cheap 50 dollar ones which I don't think will cut it. . I just read a review which said if you go to big your tank will be all air bubbles. . So I'd like to get it right the first time. .
So any advice you could share would be appreciated. . Thanks. .

how fast do they grow.0 1 year 11 months ago #64990

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 122
I suggest your plans be centered around the long term care for your Oscar. A few questions.....
1. Do you plan to use the 50 gallon tank as the long term home for your Oscar? If not, what size aquarium will you be buying and approximately when do you expect to have it?
2. What two filters are you currently running? How long have they been running?
3. Is your tank cycled? If you're not sure, read www.oscarfish.com/oscars/153-setting-up-...-new-oscar-tank.html

A 50 gallon tank is not an adequate long term home for a healthy Oscar. With adequate filtering and water changes, it will be suitable for a few months but you should center your efforts around your Oscar's long term home and getting them moved into it as soon as it's feasible for you.

Along the lines of Elijah's advice, long term - you'll need at least a 75 gallon tank. If you go with a 75 and after it cycles, expect to do BIG water changes every 3-4 days to keep the nitrates at 20ppm or less.

I kept my Oscar in a 75 for the first six month I had it (it was 2.75" when I got it). My tap water is 3ppm nitrates. Beginning about 2-3 months ago, I had to do an 80% level water change every 4 days to keep the nitrates at 20 or less. Over the weekend I upgraded my Oscar's tank to a 125. After 4 days, the nitrates are at 5ppm....extra water and space make a big difference in the quality of your Oscar's living conditions...which means his/her long term health.

In addition to water quality (ie. tank size and filtering), the other most important factor to your Oscar's long term care is diet. We can help you with that after sorting through how to help you provide the most optimal water quality for your Oscar.

I suggest you spend time reading the great and informative articles at www.oscarfish.com/articlelist.html. It'll really help you get your mind wrapped around what you should do to keep a healthy and thriving Oscar.

If you plan to permanently keep your Oscar in the 50 gallon tank. I suggest using two filters. If your budget can accommodate it, my suggestion is two eheim 2217's or one eheim 2217 and one Aquaclear 70. If you can only go with one filter, I'd suggest the eheim 2217. Other very experienced and knowledgeable folks on here have had good experience with the Filstar XPL. I have a Fluval 406. It's not my favorite and sometimes I want to throw it out of the window but if you find one at a good price, I'd go with it.

how fast do they grow.0 1 year 11 months ago #64999

• tom
  • Thank you received: 236
Eheim classic 2217
:thumbs:
6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Rotkeil Severum 10 Silver Dollars

how fast do they grow.0 1 year 11 months ago #65013

• Tim 68
  • Poecilia reticulata
Well thank you Mr Beretta. You put a bit of effort into that. . I appreciate it. . And by the looks of it, major Tom agrees with your filter choice. . So that's what I'll Google and look into. . As for a 75 gallon tank. . We'll we'd all love one that big. . And I suppose I'll have to look into how much that would cost. . But that won't be happening straight away. I'm not that rich. . But I will keep my eye open and work on it. .
I did read the setting up a tank link. .
So I'll post again when I move the little fella.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds