Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot?

Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot? 4 years 4 months ago #29863

• chevyhater06
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello, I woke up this morning to my Oscar sitting at the bottom of the tank. He is breathing, but doesn't seem to feel very well. I tried feeding him & his tank mates and he came up off the bottom to chase off his tank mates from eating, but didn't eat and returned to the bottom.

The pectoral fins are white and stringy at the tips that developed over night or maybe some yesterday & he has a white spot on his temple which I have been treating for a few days now with salt. The spot on his temple is slowly getting better. I am needing help with treating the seemingly fin rot. Can anybody confirm that my pictures are fin rot on his fins and how I should go about treating it? Temperature, chemicals, water change frequency/amounts?

PH 7.0
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitite 0ppm
Nitrate 40-80ppm (little high)

Tank Mates are 2-Jack Dempsey, 2-Pleco. 135G Tank.

http://imgur.com/ya0wJoc,uGNffR7,Safwz2Z
http://imgur.com/ya0wJoc,uGNffR7,Safwz2Z#1
http://imgur.com/ya0wJoc,uGNffR7,Safwz2Z#2
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot? 4 years 4 months ago #29864

• bassetmancichlids
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 395
Need water changes right away. Ammonia should always be zero and nitrates under 20.

Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot? 4 years 4 months ago #29875

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
agreed, do a fin level water change, your tank is over stocked. you will need to be doing a fin level water change every other day to keep them healthy.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot? 4 years 4 months ago #29878

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 911
I would get very aggressive with the water changes. Perform back to back water changes of 80% each and then figure out why the ammonia creep. That should not be there in an established tank.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot? 4 years 4 months ago #29918

• Jcp1545
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57
2 plecos and an oscar produce alot alot of waste id get rid of a pleco of not both atleast from that tank to another, did your oscar have ripped/nipped fins then the rot began to set in? Or did the rot come out of no were? If it had ripped fins and the rot set in im guessing your 2 jds are fighting back the oscar and nipping his fins. If thats what happend the fact rot set in means your params are not the best nipped fins on an oscar ahould heal fairly quickly without rot setting in with good water quality. To treat the finrot doses of melafix and pimafix will help get rid of the rot pretty well, you can fully dose both of these medications together and they treat a variety of problems. As for the water params try feeding less and more water changes thats the best thing you can do seeing how all your fish are big waste producers.
125 long - FOWLR
125 long - angels, balas,weather loaches, peacock eel
125 tall - deformed tiger oscar, jack Dempsey
90 wide- baby tiger oscar

Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot? 4 years 4 months ago #29937

• lilly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
Can't open the links...
210g,1-lutino tiger O, 1- red long fin lutino O, 1 red O,7 SD
120g,3 Discus various dither fish
60g reef,1 sand sifting gobie,1black&white wrasse, various cleanup crew and lots of corals:)

Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot? 4 years 4 months ago #30161

• chevyhater06
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for all of the help. My water quality is better now. After doing a few back to back daily water changes.

PH 7.2
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5-10 ppm

The rot on the pectoral fins looks to be getting better perhaps, the part that was rotting has fell off and doesn't look to be rotting further, maybe healing? There is some rot on his tail fin and underbelly. I have been adding some salt to the tank to try and help with the fin rot, for a preferable natural healing process. Do y'all think I should continue with the daily 25% water changes till he is better, or just keep the water quality under control as needed and he will eventually self heal?

More pics from today.

Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot? 4 years 4 months ago #30162

• bassetmancichlids
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 395
Keep the water as clean as humanly possible .

Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot? 4 years 4 months ago #30163

• Jcp1545
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57
The cleaner the water the quicker the heal daily waterchanges is recommended, if your researching fin rot contrary to belief know that there are 2 types of rot, bbacterial and fungal it can be both or one of the other this looks fungal to me but am not sure, juat thought that might help you in your research, i can see why you would like to go for a natural healing process as that can only help your fish have a stronger immune system while fighting to overcome it. Although if things do turn for the worse domt hesitate to use pima/mela fix this stuff has worked wonders for me with finrot.
125 long - FOWLR
125 long - angels, balas,weather loaches, peacock eel
125 tall - deformed tiger oscar, jack Dempsey
90 wide- baby tiger oscar

Sick 3 y/o Tiger Oscar. Fin Rot? 4 years 4 months ago #30173

• flipfloppin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
If it doesn't heal on its own and you have to go with meds, we used jungle fungus clear for a bad case of fin rot and it cleared it up rapidly. It did not effect any of the beneficial bacteria at all. It does however turn your water green but it can be removed with water changes and carbon. I'm not saying go this route now but if you are left without a choice and it doesn't heal I would consider it an option.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds