TOPIC: Split topic- My Oscar is swimming in rapid circles

Split topic- My Oscar is swimming in rapid circles 11 months 2 weeks ago #8643

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 401
pull the carbon. you do not need carbon in your filters and can be bad for you fish. very rarely do you need to run carbon. heavy metals in your tap would be one. after about 3 weeks they will actually release everything they have filtered back into the water at once. They are just not needed.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Split topic- My Oscar is swimming in rapid circles 11 months 2 weeks ago #8661

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 289
Tough to say what to do for sure. Keep up on the water changes and keep the nitrates down. Your levels do seem to be in check except for Ammonia. We want that to stay at 0ppm.

Carbon can cause problems in the long term if it's not used properly but I don't think it's causing issues right now.

You can either wait it out to see if the Algaecide was the problem (again, I stress frequent large water changes) or you can try something like Levamisole. The Levamisole would potentially rid the fish of an internal parasites - which is allegedly what causes Whirling disease.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Split topic- My Oscar is swimming in rapid circles 11 months 1 week ago #9225

Update.

So I ended up using pure Melaleuca Oil (Tree Oil) same that is in Melafix, except pure. I put it directly on his white spots and let it sit for just a few seconds then put him back into the water. It ate whatever the white was and also his slime coat, and he sank back down into the tank as before. I added the melafix for the day and pulled the carbon (I use carbon for 2 weeks after big water changes). The next morning he was at the top of the water, not really 100% but he seemed like he might eat, but he didn't. The next morning, he was swimming around and hungry. By the 3rd day after the Melaleuca Oil he was back to 100%! I know that it could have definitely hurt him (that stuff is very strong and can eat their scales) however since I used it carefully, it seemed to help push him over the edge. Now I also stopped using the Algaecide, but I did not do a water change since I added it last which was only the day before I put the oil on him. It has been 4 more days of normal behavior and he is begging for food and rooting all his fake plants around. Glad he is back to normal. My tank parameters are still the same, I am sure my ammonia is at 0, sometimes it is just hard for me to distinguish between the colors since they are so close. For anyone dealing with the crazy ram into everything disease (which my fish was doing) try Melafix and some tree oil in the water first, then if all else fails (you will be euthanizing anyways) try a little bit to the wounds or other affected areas. Worked for me. Thanks for the help all, I really appreciate it!

Split topic- My Oscar is swimming in rapid circles 11 months 1 week ago #9260

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 289
Glad to hear he came around.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds