Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Largemouth bass

Largemouth bass 4 months 2 weeks ago #72260

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
This is a question more for the game fishers here. I want to stock our pond new.
It's a half round 4000 gallon concret pond. I keeped a golden Wels catfish and after that alot of Goldfish there but in the the last years the pond was very negolected and we had a massive heron problem that well ate like all fish.
Now we emptyed the whole thing, cleaned it up and i will increase filtration.
Now i want something new. Wels cat is cool but it gets to big and it will eat anything. Also the water is a little green tinted what made it hard to see him while not active.
Goldfish, had them and they are fun but they are a bit boring.
Walleye need to much filtration and need very cold water.
Pike is to stealthy.
Pearch are to small and also steathy.
Koi are cool but you need to much tech eqipment.

So I thought lets try to get some largemouths. I think it is maybe a ltitle to cold here in generel but are largemouth save in Winter and freezing conditions? Are they be able to get used to regular fish food or can you only feed them fish other fish?
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Largemouth bass 4 months 4 days ago #72280

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm pretty sure they prefer from 70 to 82 degrees. Although the largemouth like it in the higher 70s low 80s.
Overall they can function from 40 degrees to 90.

I know they eat small perch, bluegills, minnows, frogs, insects etc.
I'm sure there is a protein pellet out there for them.

But remember, if they're wild, pellets will be alien to them. According to www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/feed_your_fish.html you should only feed them so much of a pellet and more of it's natural prey.

Hope this helps :)

Largemouth bass 4 months 4 days ago #72281

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
The black bass/ largemouth is not native here or even rarley avaible.
I only know he is inside some pay to fish private ponds in germany but only in a few in the whole country.

They get there released to be catched and catch and release is not allowed there so it do not really matter if they survive there all year.

I think anything i could get my hand on are farm raised fish.

Largemouth bass 4 months 3 days ago #72283

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
Temp shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep the pond aerated. If you get a freeze in winter the biggest threat is O2 loss because I'll assume you have no live plants to produce oxygen. Winter time you'll need to keep the pond aerated so there is open water for gas exchange, and when it's really hot you also want moving water to help keep temps down.

I imagine though that your biggest problem will be getting them on a pellet diet .
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Largemouth bass 4 months 3 days ago #72284

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
So they are picky eaters, never thought that. In fishing videos it seems you can catch them with bare hands just by waving with an dead fish.

No plants mostly go down to 10% of there full size in Winter here. But in spring to summer the pond is always heavy crowded with hundreds of lilly pads and shore grass.
Tech wise this pond is very limited. It has a 500 g separated area for semimantation and Koi filter foam but like now the water is very green by alga blooming by all the Sun of the heat wave and no rain in the last 2 months.
IT would be right now be the perfect tropical pond but for this it's to big, would never find the fishes again.

Largemouth bass 4 months 3 days ago #72285

• ted
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
I've kept a LMB and some bluegill before. Maybe it was because they were younger, or maybe it was a fluke. They took to pellets within a day. You are unlikely to get a fresh from the wild bass where you are anyway. Chances are, they are used to some sort of artificial food.

I say try it!
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds