Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal (Fish Pics)

46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal (Fish Pics) 4 years 7 months ago #15472

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 494
Trying to keep everything in one place here. I have a 46g bowfront that I am planning to plant heavily, eventually. For the first several months I'll start out with low light, hardy plants and escalate from there. Last night I put in two bags of ADA Aquasoil Amazonia. I wasn't sure if that would be enough substrate so I had a bag of Eco-complete 'fine' on hand as well, but I think it's enough. I also hooked up a new Eheim 2213. Nice little filter. Looking back I think for this size tank I would have gone with the 2215, but I am trying not to over filter for the benefit of the plants... it's a new concept on me. Yesterday I ordered a new LED fixture for the tank, a Finnex Planted+. Should be here on monday. From what I've read, one 36 inch Planted+ fixture should be enough for a low tech, low light planted tank. And if/when I decide to try more demanding plants, I can add another fixture and be able to grow most plants without trouble. I'll also have to supplement CO2 at that point as well though, because the two fixtures will grow a lot of algae. Anyway, that's about where I am with the planted part of this tank. Just waiting on lights.

The other half of this thread will be dedicated to the new fish I have coming in today. I have been contemplating new cichlids for a while now and finally decided on this stock - Laetacara dorsigera (Redbreasted Acara), Cleithracara maronii (Keyhole cichlid) and Apistogramma borellii (Umbrella cichlid). I'm hoping for three pairs. I ordered 4 of the L. dorsigera, and 4 or the C. maronii as they are pretty much impossible to sex at this size. The A. borellii I ordered is a pair (male/female) hopefully. They don't guarantee it, but said that chances are pretty high as they hand select the individuals and try to pair males/females. Hopefully I'll have some pics up by the end of the day. :)
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal. 4 years 7 months ago #15482

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
Exciting! I love the live plant look. The cichlids will have fun in their jungle

Jessica

46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal. 4 years 7 months ago #15484

• flipfloppin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
Looking forward to seeing this all set up. Best of luck on the pairs.

46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal. 4 years 7 months ago #15493

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
~rush~ wrote:
I also hooked up a new Eheim 2213. Nice little filter. Looking back I think for this size tank I would have gone with the 2215, but I am trying not to over filter for the benefit of the plants... it's a new concept on me.

Tell me about it. I plan on using a 2215 and an Emperor 280 on a 65. Just seems so wrong. My least filtered 55 is an Eheim 2213, Penguin 200, Magnum 350, Sponge filters rated for a 45, and a corner box filter rated for a 20..... and I consider that under filtered.

With a planted tank, less filtration is better, for the plants. Now the downside to that is that if the plants are not doing well, it may become an issue for the fish. So it's something you'll want to keep your eyes on. We don't do ammonia/nitrite tests that frequently on established tanks. Here.... you'll need to.

EDIT: And if you're not starting off with CO2, I would recommend using SeaChem Excel. It will go a long way towards keeping your plants happy. Just make sure the plants you intend to use are not amongst those known to be melted by Excel.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal. 4 years 7 months ago #15500

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
I agree. Should be an interesting project.

46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal. 4 years 7 months ago #15547

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Well... disaster. The fish were out on the truck for delivery yesterday morning. I had my brother go to my house to get them. He got them in the house and acclimated. When I came home at 5, all 4 of the L dorsigera were dead and all but one of the C. maronii were dead. The Apistos were not moving. Fast forward to today, and all I have left are 1 C. maronii, and 2 A. borellii....

I literally had to wait a full 8-10 hours to post about this or it would have been nothing but profanity... I'm still so mad at myself. Wednesday night when I was setting up this tank (20g quarantine), I was also setting up the 46g bowfront. Rinsing substrate and setting up the eheim 2213. I had so much stuff going that I didn't dechlorinate the tank. So when my brother acclimated them, they did fine until the chlorine started effecting their gill tissue. I didn't realize what was going on of course until around 6pm or so and by then it was too late for most of the fish. I dechlorinated and added a little salt but for not.

So a lesson to learn. If you are going to acclimate new fish, take time off to do it right. If I had been there doing this, I would have acclimated the same as my brother did, but I would have observed them for 2-3 hours after they were introduced into the new tank. That would have given me the opportunity to catch this mistake and probably save all the fish. Also don't be an idiot like me, and forget the most basic thing a fish needs... dechlorinated water... uuhhgh.

46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal. 4 years 7 months ago #15562

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
Man.... that really sucks. :pinch:

You would think you would have driven the chlorine out simply by having the water under aeration overnight. :(
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ~rush~

46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal. 4 years 7 months ago #15569

• whitneygene
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 111
Ugh, that makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. I recently did the exact same thing... Wiped out everything but the shrimp because I forgot to dechlor during a water change.

That SUCKS. I'm sorry to hear that.

46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal. 4 years 7 months ago #15571

• flipfloppin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
Oh my gosh that so sucks :(

46g Bowfront, Planted tank/ SA Journal. 4 years 7 months ago #15573

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
kmuda wrote:
Man.... that really sucks. :pinch:

You would think you would have driven the chlorine out simply by having the water under aeration overnight. :(

I would have thought so too, but I've found during this time of the year (spring thaw) the chlorine tends to be more potent. I'm pretty sure they up the concentration because of the flooding. Our beloved red river floods pretty heavily and we have to close a few bridges in/out of town every year.

Either way, nothing I can do about it now. I have another order set for Tuesday delivery. I'll be taking time off work to receive this one.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds