Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp

Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp 3 weeks 3 days ago #71200

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 114
Just shy of two years ago I put an Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp on my 29g planted tank. I thought it worked great and really liked the timer feature. Today I realized it has developed a short, I suspect in the ballast, and was tripping my circuit breaker. I'm a bit disappointed with its lifespan.

I realized only using one of the lamps seemed to work best with my plants. As a result, I ordered a Glo T5HO single lamp unit as a replacement. I was a little uncertain if it would fit on top of my 30 1/4" wide 29g. While reading the reviews on Amazon, someone said it fits on their 20g Long. Based on my quick Google searching, it seems like a 20g Long is the same width as a 29g so I went with it.

Based on my experience with the Aquatic Life, I'm hopeful 3-4 of these will outlast a single, more costly one. I debated just buying a LED but quickly realized I want to research it more than I have time for right now....I just wanted to get something to keep my plants doing fairly well.

My Aquatic Life is being relegated to the "deal with it later" pile of stuff in the basement. I may give Aquatic Life a call to see if there's anything they're willing to do to help with the matter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FreshyFesh

Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp 3 weeks 3 days ago #71201

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 419
200 bucks for a T5 System is very expensive. The problem i see in this is that it looks that you put it on a glass or Plexi lid.

The major different between a T5 and LED is not that much in light output compared pound to pound for Watt per lumen but a LED is way cooler.
If you use s T5 under a Lid you basicly use it as a secondary heater, the energy that you save with LED is later be added by your heater.
LED just make sense if your tank don't need to be heated in higher tropical temps.
But putting T5 on an on top tank or with a lid between water and tube is wasted energy that you lose in the room.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp 3 weeks 3 days ago #71203

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
toom wrote:
...But putting T5 on an on top tank or with a lid between water and tube is wasted energy that you lose in the room.

Ya know....I never even considered that. Although I've only had the betta for two months, he doesn't seem like he'd be interested in jumping out of the tank but it only takes once to have a really bad experience. I should probably look into making/finding some sort of mesh lid.

Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp 3 weeks 3 days ago #71204

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 84
If it's anything like my "deal with it later" pile it will never see the light of day, excuse the pun.
I've been running a T5HO dual lamp on my tank for about 4 years and have only just had one of my bulbs blow. I have a canopy and glass lids and as toom suggested I was always surprised by the heat that the tubes generated, so thought I would upgrade to an LED.
Bought a 4ft full spectrum LED for about $85 Aus dollars and the difference is amazing, everything seems so sharp. The light still gets a little warm but nothing compared to the tubes. I don't have plants in my Oscar tank so I can't help with their growth but visually so much better.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp 3 weeks 3 days ago #71206

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Ernie14 wrote:
If it's anything like my "deal with it later" pile it will never see the light of day, excuse the pun.

Clever!! I love it!!

Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp 3 weeks 3 days ago #71207

• g4wowgold
  • Poecilia reticulata
Army was the high dream parcel development and there are a great deal of parts they feel worked exceptionally well. The five-catch turn is an incredible illustration. They needed to see an arrival to early Warcraft with Battle thus this development gets back to Warcraft 3. You will have six major zones to investigate and once you max level you can traverse into the other group's zones to Outland gold. Where you had Garrisons and Order Halls, you will now develop around the fight rejoining you to your group and bringing some pride once again into the diversion.
Warfronts are a major piece of that and expand on Warcraft's entertaining. It is a 20-player occasion which drives you on a zone to strike the other group in PvE. It plays like some RTS components like seeing structures develop and having players cooperate to beat peons into working once more. The entire occasion is appeared through the eyes of the Warcraft player cooperating with their group to Outland gold. You assemble assets, construct an armed force, and assault the resistance. One element Ray and Pat were exceptionally amped up for with tech trees opening as players work. You need to pick your specialized topics which will work best for your group.

Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp 3 weeks 1 day ago #71217

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 231
beretta, I hear you on the "quality" of these ballasts today. My twin-tube Odyssea 48" T5HO lasted about 2.5yrs before something got toasty on the circuit board in the ballast assembly. I often wondered if I didn't cause it by running one lamp as opposed to two in this fixture. Good thing is, the fixture only set me back $49 shipped new. Probably another $50-60 in lamps. . Since then, I've had a Current Satellite LED+ over this 55g. Going great so far.

I did try yet another Odyssea T5HO over my 29g with plants. It's a twin tube, I think they're 24" lamps. Got it on eBay as a open box unit for $30 with lamps shipped. I've had it 13months at this point. I like it for this application because this tank is in my basement, so the added heat is a good thing.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp 2 weeks 6 days ago #71227

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
I set up the single lamp Glo T5HO unit yesterday. It's surprisingly sturdy. It was easy to set up. There is no on/off switch, timer, clock etc.... just an apparatus to run a single lamp. So far so good. It's nice to be able to give the plants light again. I paid ~$35 on Amazon.

Time will tell if it was a good deal.

Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp 2 weeks 6 days ago #71228

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
FreshyFesh wrote:
...I did try yet another Odyssea T5HO over my 29g with plants. It's a twin tube, I think they're 24" lamps. Got it on eBay as a open box unit for $30 with lamps shipped. I've had it 13months at this point. I like it for this application because this tank is in my basement, so the added heat is a good thing.

What a great find....a great deal!!

Aquatic Life T5HO Quad Lamp 2 weeks 5 days ago #71231

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 231
beretta96 wrote:
FreshyFesh wrote:
...I did try yet another Odyssea T5HO over my 29g with plants. It's a twin tube, I think they're 24" lamps. Got it on eBay as a open box unit for $30 with lamps shipped. I've had it 13months at this point. I like it for this application because this tank is in my basement, so the added heat is a good thing.

What a great find....a great deal!!

Hey thanks! It's the only reason I went this route. It was a lucky eBay find for sure. The other thing that sucks with these twin-tube fixtures is the clear plastic clips that hold the lamps in place. They inevitably fall apart and would take some DIY action to replace them with metal ones.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds