Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Python water changer???? Good or bad???

Python water changer???? Good or bad??? 5 months 5 days ago #69291

• coreilly1
  • Poecilia reticulata
Looking for advice on the Python water changer system. Is it worth the money? Easy to use?
On Dr. F&S website it had really good reviews but would rather have the input of the group.
Please keep in mind that I have a bad back and it isn't easy for me to do the bucket method.
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Python water changer???? Good or bad??? 5 months 5 days ago #69292

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 476
The single best thing you can buy as a hobbyist! The python water changer units and others like them save you a ton of time and work. Definitely get one. It's cheaper than a trip to the chiropractor!
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The following user(s) said Thank You: coreilly1

Python water changer???? Good or bad??? 5 months 5 days ago #69293

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
It's a no brainer-buy it!
Couldn't be simpler to use and takes away all of the physical effort of buckets.

Python water changer???? Good or bad??? 5 months 5 days ago #69296

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 54
I bought one when I set up my 65 gallon aquarium and I haven't looked back since. It's easier on the back, that's for sure

So good or bad?

It's good. Go buy one you won't regret it
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Python water changer???? Good or bad??? 5 months 5 days ago #69297

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
single best item to help you get water changes done. Humane nature, the easier something is to do, the more likely we are to do it consistently. folks like me that 180, and 140 gallon tanks, I would not have these tanks if i did not have a easy water changes system. python and the likes are it. esp since I advocate 90% or fin level water changes, every water change along with a good vacuum.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Python water changer???? Good or bad??? 5 months 4 days ago #69305

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
I couldnt manage the tanks and volume I have without it. After the obvious necessities, its the MVP of all my equipment.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Python water changer???? Good or bad??? 5 months 4 days ago #69307

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 104
I echo all the great endorsements from everyone else.

That said, there is one downside to the python...to generate the siphon you need to run the water and keep it running - assuming your drain isn't lower than your tank. As a result, you use a lot of water during large water changes.

To reduce water waste (I know ironic coming from someone who keeps large aquariums), I use the python to perform gravel vacs & use a pump & garden hose to drain the remaining water. I find that approach not only reduces water waste but expedites the entire draining process.

Python water changer???? Good or bad??? 5 months 4 days ago #69310

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 177
I would get rid of my tanks now if I didn't have one...
Take the ease of workload away.....its also 100% cleaner with less spills..
I soaked everything with buckets..
180 oscar/JD/pleco
75 JD / Pleco
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
29 malawi
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores- BO

56 empty and willing

Python water changer???? Good or bad??? 5 months 3 days ago #69312

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
beretta96 wrote:

That said, there is one downside to the python...to generate the siphon you need to run the water and keep it running - assuming your drain isn't lower than your tank. As a result, you use a lot of water during large water changes.

berreta: no need to waste the water, I simply run mine out of the door and qive the end a quick suck :blink: to start the syphon-gravity does the rest.
I saw a video on youtube a couple of days ago, talking about the python, the guy said that you could turn the tap off once the syphon had started-I may give this a try but in all honesty I'm quite happy watering the garden.

However you choose to use it, the python is a must have piece of equipment.

It's also worth having a spare adapter/valve, I dropped mine and cracked it-blew apart when I tried it on the tap-I now have two spares (just in case)!
I also swapped out the plastic/nylon screw in part for a metal one as I wasn't overly confident that the thread would last.

Python water changer???? Good or bad??? 5 months 3 days ago #69314

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 104
muddybear wrote:
beretta96 wrote:

...to start the syphon-gravity does the rest. I saw a video on youtube a couple of days ago, talking about the python, the guy said that you could turn the tap off once the syphon had started...

Thanks Muddy!! I apologize for not taking the time to fully illustrate my scenario. I keep three tanks and my son keeps two. The three that I keep each have the tank situated such that the tank sits at the same altitude as the drain. When I turn the tap off once the siphon starts, it always breaks the siphon on those three along with one that my son keeps that also has the tank at ~the same altitude as the drain. However, like you mentioned, the tank in his room is one floor higher than the drain he uses. With that one, he turns off the tap after the siphon gets started - gravity keeps the siphon going.

In order to keep the tank draining with the python for the tanks that sit at the same altitude as the drain, we've learned we have to keep the tap running in order to suck the water out of the tank, through the hose and into the drain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: muddybear
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds