Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Texas Cichlid

Texas Cichlid 4 months 2 weeks ago #72226

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello I just picked up a small Texas Cichlid from PetSmart. The first thing I was wondering was if anybody knows if it's the true Texas Cichlid or one of the "false" ones like H. carpintis. Here is a link to the PetSmart version

Another thing I was wondering is the growth rate on these guys, I have heard of people saying there very very slow growers and others that say they grow as fast as Oscars. Whats the minimum tank size for a full grown adult? Right now I have him in a 55 gallon but hes only 2-3 inches.

Thank You,
Aquamoo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Texas Cichlid 4 months 2 weeks ago #72227

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
They are supposed to grow to 5in within 3 months. After that, the growth isn't as fast depending on whether you have other fish with it.

IMO 75 gallons+

They reach up to 12in

The difference between a true Texas cichlid and the carpintis could be harder to determine.
I think the true Texas should have larger, more orderly spots when compared to the carpintis.
Also, the True should have a more blue green color to it when compared (unless it's a red Texas cichlid).

Pics might help in this instance. Or you could just google the pictures of each and compare them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aquamoo

Texas Cichlid 4 months 2 weeks ago #72233

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
Both petco and petsmart will sell H. cyanoguttatum and H. carpintis as "texas cichlid". There is no way for us to provide you with an identification with out a picture. Try to snap a good clear side profile pic and we should be able to tell you what it is.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Texas Cichlid 4 months 2 weeks ago #72235

• Aquamoo
Sorry for the delay,

Thank you,

Aquamoo

Texas Cichlid 4 months 2 weeks ago #72236

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 219
Good looking juvie Carpintis. Small turquoise spots on Carpintis, larger blue spots on the H.Cyanno. Pet peeve of mine that these fish get called Green Texas. They are not Texas cichlids at all. They are a Mexican based fish.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Texas Cichlid 4 months 2 weeks ago #72245

• Aquamoo
Im a little confused...

I have read many conflicting articles about the H. Carpintis and the H. Cyannoguttatas. The species profile on this site here (by Rush) seems to say that the H. Cyannoguttatus gets the smaller, more uniform spots and the H. Carpintis gets the larger, irregular spots. Is also says that the worming on the jaw is an indicator of a Carpinits which my fish does not show any signs of. These observations seem to be the opposite of what NorthStar said. Now I am in no way trying to call out one of you guys, but I genuinely want to know what the species I have is, you are both excellent fish keepers and give your fish better homes than most others in the hobby. In the description by Rush, it also states that the Cyanno. sometimes has a reddish/orange eye coloration, which mine definitely has.

Thank You,
Aquamoo

Texas Cichlid 4 months 2 weeks ago #72247

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 219
Call out you should! I stand corrected. Perhaps too many years in the hobby,lol. Smaller spots on the Tex, larger on the Carpintis. Think I would know that, I had a Tex back in the 1990's. Now, do you have a Tex or Carpintis there? I still think Carpi, but as the fish grows you will know for sure.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Texas Cichlid 1 week 6 days ago #72430

• Aquamoo
Northstar5, I think you are right! On the wetspot the fish they have labeled as Herichthys carpintis "Escondido" looks almost exactly like mine. I'll post some more pictures of it soon.

- Aquamoo
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds