Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Jaguar alone in 75g

Jaguar alone in 75g 6 months 1 week ago #70470

• McDonald
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hey everyone, long time no see...recently came across a jaguar cichlid in one of the LFS and I was blown away by its looks. It's the first really nice one I've seen in person. What is the tank sized needing for one of these guys and nothing else? Naturally, I read different opinions but I trust this forum the most! I know there's a difference in size between males and females so I was curious to know if anyone has a pic that shows the difference in the two. Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Jaguar alone in 75g 6 months 1 week ago #70471

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 203
75g is very inadequate for both male and female. Among the largest cichlids in the hobby, males can easily exceed 16ins, females can go well over a foot long. My big boy is in an 84x24x30 265g. By himself. Tank is in no way too big for him. Think 6x2x2 180 minimum for a full sized male. 72x18x24 125-135g for a female. Managuense is a cichlid that does not do well in small spaces.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Jaguar alone in 75g 6 months 1 week ago #70472

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 477
I personally would have thought a female would do ok in a 75g tank, but I defer to the experience of Northstar here.

IME males tend to have thick prominent vertical banding with thick bodies. Males will also generally lose the vertical banding and gain the classic 'jaguar' pattern as they mature. Females will often keep some stripes or a lateral line visible for quite a long time.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Jaguar alone in 75g 6 months 1 week ago #70474

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 203
To be a bit clearer on my opinion... Parachromis are a sleeker, torpedo shaped fish, very quick. I believe they do much better with more swim space. Taller bodied, heavier fish like Midas, Oscars, Pearsei fare better in shorter tanks. Not that I recommend 75g for any of those fish either, but a slower lazier fish could be less stressed and restricted in a shorter tank. My female Dovii, at around 9ins is in a 60x18x25 120g tank, alone. She makes short work out of the 5ft base. I wouldn't want to have her in any less space. I have a male Mota in the 6ft 125. He is close to a foot long and has that particular tank maxed out imo.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ~rush~, beretta96

Jaguar alone in 75g 6 months 1 week ago #70480

• McDonald
  • Platinum Boarder
Makes perfect sense! Isn't there similar fish to the Jagaur that are better in slightly smaller tanks? Isn't there something like a "red tiger"?

Jaguar alone in 75g 6 months 1 week ago #70481

• bloodmourn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 170
McDonald wrote:
Makes perfect sense! Isn't there similar fish to the Jagaur that are better in slightly smaller tanks? Isn't there something like a "red tiger"?

Red Tiger Motaguense and Motaguense males can hit 14". I wouldn't put them in a 75g for life. A female RTM (better coloration IMHO) could do fine in a 75g since they tend to be less than 10".

Jaguar alone in 75g 6 months 1 week ago #70482

• McDonald
  • Platinum Boarder
Well I appreciate the clear information!

Jaguar alone in 75g 6 months 1 week ago #70483

• toom
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 419
75 G is not a practical size for big central americans. I also say the same for Oscars and of course Amphilophus, well maybe 1 or 2 smaller ones but from Trimaculatus, Citros over Chanco they get all at least 12.5 up to 15+ iches for a male.

A single male Chipaheros grammodes may works or the fish rush keeps. But to be sUte you will not find something like an Oscar as an single fish, especially centrals are not that friendly and jolly fellows.

But 75G is a ok size for T. Salvini or for two pairs of Cryptoheros or Amatitlania like fancy convicts siquia or kana maybe honduran red points and a dozen livebearers.

I know they are not that big with 6.5 max 7" but at least Salvini don't need to hide because they are evil Devil fish with astonishing coloration.
They also have some other good points to be keeped. They don't dig as much as other Bull class fish so an more fancy tank Layout is possible.
They don't need hardcore filtration and maintaince in 75G as an 10" fish and of course you can have a pair and there will be some interaction you can observe.

We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds