Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?)

Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?) 2 months 5 days ago #69717

• darkhorse419
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 4
Ok, so hear me out here - look over the picture below and let me know your thoughts and opinions.

So as I posted before, I am having an issue with Ick, Velvet, or whatever - so as many have suggested, I bumped heat to 86 degrees and yesterday I noticed my solo Rainbow Cichlid was all colored up which he/she only did when upset prior too bumping heat up to treat for ich. Later in the day, I see it in the back of the tank pushing plants out of the way, so I get in there and look - and SHE is laying eggs!! This particular fish and my Jewel Cichlid have always danced with each other ever since bringing the Rainbow home - but after reading, googling, and asking - THERE WAS NO CHANCE OF THEM BREEDING!!! Now I know it is perfectly normal for a female to lay eggs - but from my experience with Angels and Convicts breeding when I didn't want them to, these eggs appear fertilized?? No other Central American's in this tank, there's the Jewel Cichlid, a few smaller severums growing out, an electric blue Acara, and a couple of Angelfish that are also growing out - and my wife's Platys!! Has anyone ever had this happen to them where Central and South (Or even Western Africa) have produced viable fry?? I don't want Hybrids, and as sure as I am sitting here none will survive (Nor will I let any), but just curious if I will need to separate them now - or if eggs are fooling me??

Take a look, only a few turned white, rest look fertilized?? Weird if you ask me!!

[/img]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?) 2 months 5 days ago #69720

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 52
interesting. One way to know for sure if they hatch and you get fry from it...
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?) 2 months 5 days ago #69728

• bloodmourn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 169
Give it 4 days, which is when the eggs turn white when not fertilized.

But you have another problem is that 2 cichlids want to mate, which will be hard on the rest of your residents and each other.

Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?) 2 months 4 days ago #69747

• tom
  • Thank you received: 230
Did the eggs from the convict x angel hatch?
I know convicts will try to bang anything, but a con x angel would be a weird looking critter...
:think:

6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Chocolate, Rotkeil Severum
10 Siver Dollars

Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?) 2 months 3 days ago #69748

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 397
tom wrote:
Did the eggs from the convict x angel hatch?
I know convicts will try to bang anything, but a con x angel would be a weird looking critter...
:think:

Do you think an vertical spawner and an substrate spawner would mate with each other? They lay and fetrilize totally different.

I think more the female just layed eggs without a male. A pair would normally protect there batch.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?) 2 months 3 days ago #69753

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 474
The eggs don't appear to be fertilized in my opinion. Could be the picture quality/color, but eggs usually appear a little more amber color, or tan in color. I'm guessing they will all slowly turn to fungus.

But more to the point - the result of the eggs hatching or not is not the only thing you need to be concerned with. Even if the two can never produce viable offspring they are still going to present and act like a mating pair - increased aggression, claiming of a large territory, increasing stress in the tank markedly. If they become enough of a nuisance, I would remove one of the two personally.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?) 2 months 3 days ago #69755

• darkhorse419
So as I hoped, all eggs turned white yesterday and she started removing them - all is back to normal in the tank this morning... Jewel is getting moved to another tank, just needed it to get a little bigger first, so not worried about that either. I REALLY like the Rainbow cichlid, but not as much as the others in the tank, so if Jewel AND Rainbow need to go, so be it. Time will tell

Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?) 2 months 2 days ago #69774

• tom
Do you think an vertical spawner and an substrate spawner would mate with each other? They lay and fetrilize totally different.

I think more the female just layed eggs without a male. A pair would normally protect there batch.

I am aware it's unlikely that an Angel and Covict would cross, but the OP posted this:
Now I know it is perfectly normal for a female to lay eggs - but from my experience with Angels and Convicts breeding when I didn't want them to, these eggs appear fertilized??

10 Siver Dollars

Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?) 2 months 2 days ago #69777

• darkhorse419
I guess I should have been clearer so that everyone doesn't think I am just thinking everytime my fish lay eggs, a hybrid will be born... I had juvenile angels in one tank, that ended up pairing up and breeding (Sold babies, kept a couple) and same thing with the convicts - different tank of course... Sorry for the confusion - I meant the eggs looked the same as the breeding pairs did, which was stumping me!!

Question about possible cross-breeding? (Hybrid?) 2 months 2 days ago #69781

• tom
:snicker:
Clear now...

10 Siver Dollars
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds