Note: This is a discontinued product.
|Crude Protein||33.0% min.|
|Crude Fat||5.0% min.|
|Crude Fiber||6.0% max.|
New Life Spectrum H2O Stable Sinking Wafers Ingredients:
Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Algae Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Red and Green Cabbage, Pea, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Kiwi, Apricot, Pear, Mango, Apple, Papaya and Peach), Vitamin A Acetate, DL Alphatocopherol ( E ), Vitamin B12 Supplement, D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Niacin, Thiamine, Folic Acid, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Manganese Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Copper Proteinate, Cobalt Sulfate and Ferrous Sulfate.
New Life Spectrum H2O Stable Sinking Wafers Ingredients Analysis
The first three preferred ingredients (Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, and Whole Squid Meal) are “Whole Animal” preferred proteins listed at their dry weights so their ordering in the ingredient list is accurate. Use of the “Whole Animal” indicates a higher quality product as the entirety of the animal is used in manufacturing, not just leftovers after the good parts are processed for human consumption.
As a primary ingredient, Whole Antarctic Krill Meal is as good as it gets, ensuring a food high in protein, amino acids, omega 3 oils, and color enhancing carotenoids. Whole Herring meal is an excellent selection for this food. While it does not contain the color enhancing properties of “Whole Salmon Meal”, it is higher in Omega 3’s and the extra color enhancing properties are not needed with Antarctic Krill Meal as the primary ingredient. Whole squid meal is a better source of protein than is fish meal and while higher in fat, it is also an excellent source of niacin and vitamin B-12.
Algae Meal is a dried product manufactured from blue-green algae. While Spirulina Algae Meal would be preferred over standard Algae Meal, Algae Meal remains a quality ingredient containing amino acids, vitamins, and trace elements. It boost the immune system, increases energy levels, and improves general health. The Chlorophyll and phytochemical content results in an effective antioxidant to prevent cell damage and aid detoxification in the body. Algae Meal is low in fat and high in fiber.
As the 8th ingredient, Soybean Isolate is an acceptable highly concentrated protein addition.
Aside from the outstanding list of primary ingredients, what sets this food apart from others is use of the Vegetable and Fruit Extract, an excellent source of natural vitamins and minerals.
The remaining listed ingredients are acceptable vitamin and mineral supplements.
This food does not utilize Menadione Sodium Bisfulfite (synthetic vitamin K) or artificial colors. Unlike other NLS foods, this food does not list Ethoxyquin as a preservative. However, NLS’s public statements defending their use of Ethoxyquin, declaring their support for this preservative, prevents us from declaring this food Ethoxyquin free. Attempts to seek clarification from NLS have thus far been unanswered.
NOTE: The version of this food available in Australia does have Ehtoxyquin listed on the label.
Oscarfish.Com Rating: 4.5 Stars
The high quality of preferred ingredients in this food would easily justify rating this as a 6 star food. However, the potential use of Ethoxyquin prevents rating it above a 4 star food. A shame as this is perhaps the best list of ingredients and preferred proteins available. The combination of high quality whole animal protein and preferred plant products, as a natural source of vitamins and minerals, would otherwise rank this food as premium. It seems an injustice to rate this as a 4 star food but until the Ethoxyquin question is answered, it cannot be rated higher.
Understanding Oscarfish.Com Ratings:
This review is an attempt to analyze the ingredients, rating them from 1 (worst) to 6 (best) in an effort to judge quality based upon three simple criteria.
- Absence of toxic, potentially toxic, and controversial ingredients
- Aquatic Animal protein and Preferred Plant Proteins as the primary protein sources
- A fully nutritious food to include necessary vitamins and minerals with natural sources of vitamins and minerals being preferred.
These basic concepts apply:
- Any food that utilizes Ethoxyquin, BHA, or BHT as preservatives, cannot rate higher than a 4 star food.
- Use of artificial colors prevents rating higher than a 4 star food.
- Any food that utilizes Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (Synthetic Vitamin K, aka K3) cannot rate higher than a 5 star food.
- Inclusion of the “Whole Fish”, or “Whole Krill” (in meal form or not) is preferred over fish meal or krill meal.
- In order to achieve a 5 or 6 star rating, the quality of the meal must be known.
- In order to achieve a 6 star rating, the “Whole Fish’ (or whole animal) must be used, either in meal form or in sufficient quantities outside of meal form.
- Inclusion of sufficient quantities of preferred plant proteins is a bonus with sufficient Spirulina content being a significant bonus.
- Use of prebiotics or probiotics is a bonus