|Crude Protein||42% min.|
|Crude Fat||9% min.|
|Crude Fiber||2% max.|
Wardley® Advanced Nutrition™ Perfect Protein™ Tropical Fish Flakes Ingredients :
Fish Meal, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Ground Dried Spirulina, Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, De-hulled Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Ground Dried Spinach, Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Gluten Meal, Potato Starch, Shrimp Meal, Lecithin, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, Choline Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Dl-methionine, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin B12 supplement, Riboflavin supplement, Niacin supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Yeast Extract, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, and Ethoxyquin (a preservative).
Wardley Advanced Nutrition Perfect Protein Tropical Fish Flakes Ingredients Analysis
The primary ingredient is fish meal. We have no way of measuring the quality and nutritional value of the meal being used as the source. As a result, the quality and subsequent nutritional value are questionable. Use of fish meal, instead of “whole fish meal”, indicates the primary ingredients are potentially fish processing leftovers (scales, skin, bones, blood, internal organs) deemed unsuitable for human consumption.
Brewers Dried Yeast is a by-product of the beer making process; this ingredient contains about 45% protein and is rich in Vitamin B. Its use in fish foods is as either as a protein source or a vitamin supplement. Studies do exist indentifying its capacity to improve fish growth rates. When used as a supplement comprising between 2% and 4% of the food, this is an acceptable product. When used as a primary provider of protein comprising 25% or more of the food it is less acceptable as protein digestibility concerns have been documented. This specific food would appear to exceed the desirable amount of Brewers Dried Yeast and it's listing as the second rated ingredient is a potential indication of a low quality fish meal.
As the third listed ingredient, Ground dried Spirulina is a much preferred plant protein that provides a natural source of vitamins and minerals. This is a quality ingredient and its existence this high in the ingredient list improves this foods value. Combined with Ground Dry Spinach, as the 8th ingredient, this food has excellent preferred plant protein content, minimizing a need for extensive synthetic vitamin supplementation.
Fish oil can be either a beneficial ingredient or a hazardous one. Human grade fish oil collected from specific specifies of fish and screened for mercury will provide necessary omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids as well as protein. Non-human grade fish oil may not be screened for mercury and originate from fish with reduced omega 3 content.
With only three preferred proteins located within the top 8 ingredients, compared to 4 non-preferred proteins, the primary protein sources in this food are questionable.
This flake food contains both. Ethoxyquin, and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (synthetic vitamin K. ). Use of artificial coloring agents is unknown.
Oscarfish.Com Rating: 3 Star
Despite concerns that non-preferred protein sources comprise a larger percentage of this food than does preferred protein content, the significant concentration of Spirulina justifies a 3 star rating. The use of Ethoxyquin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite,.and questionable preferred protein ratio prevent a rating any higher.
Understanding Oscarfish.Com Ratings:
This review is an attempt to analyze the ingredients, rating them from 1 (worst) to 6 (best) in an effort to judge quality based upon three simple criteria.
- Absence of toxic, potentially toxic, and controversial ingredients
- Aquatic Animal protein and Preferred Plant Proteins as the primary protein sources
- A fully nutritious food to include necessary vitamins and minerals with natural sources of vitamins and minerals being preferred.
These basic concepts apply:
- Any food that utilizes Ethoxyquin, BHA, or BHT as preservatives, cannot rate higher than a 4 star food.
- Use of artificial colors prevents rating higher than a 4 star food.
- Any food that utilizes Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (Synthetic Vitamin K, aka K3) cannot rate higher than a 5 star food.
- Inclusion of the “Whole Fish”, or “Whole Krill” (in meal form or not) is preferred over fish meal or krill meal.
- In order to achieve a 5 or 6 star rating, the quality of the meal must be known.
- In order to achieve a 6 star rating, the “Whole Fish’ (or whole animal) must be used, either in meal form or in sufficient quantities outside of meal form.
- Inclusion of sufficient quantities of preferred plant proteins is a bonus with sufficient Spirulina content being a significant bonus.
- Use of prebiotics or probiotics is a bonus