|Crude Protein||32.0% min|
|Crude Fat||4.0% min|
|Crude Fiber||4.0% max|
Hikari Cichlid Gold Ingredients:
White Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Soybean Meal, Shrimp Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Carotene, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, D-activated Animal Sterol, Folic Acid, Menadione, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Salt, Ferrous Chloride, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Aluminum Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate.
Hikari Cichlid Gold Ingredients Analysis
Primary ingredient is White Fish meal. White Fish Meal is comprised of pollock, hoki, hake, blue whiting, and cod. With a protein content of between 60% and 65%, it is a higher quality product than generic fish meal. Being a Hikari produced fish meal; we can have confidence in the nutrient and protein levels of the meal. However, not being labeled as “Whole Fish Meal” identifies that the meal is potentially compiled from leftovers after the more desirable components of the fish are used for human consumption (pending clarification from Hikari).
The next two ingredients are an example of product splitting, indicating the potential for the primary ingredient in this food to actually be Wheat. With a total of 4 non-preferred protein sources (Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Soybean Meal) preceding the next listed protein source (Shrimp Meal), which is a lower quality meal product, the probability of non-preferred protein sources being the primary source of protein in this pellet is likely.
Brewers Dried Yeast is a by-product of the beer making process; this ingredient contains about 45% protein and is rich in Vitamin B. Is use in fish foods is as either as a protein source or a vitamin supplement. Studies do exist indentifying its capacity to improve fish growth rates. When used as a supplement comprising between 2% and 4% of the food, this is an acceptable product. When used as a primary provider of protein comprising 25% or more of the food it is less acceptable as protein digestibility concerns have been documented.
Extensive vitamin supplementation is necessary to compensate for an absence of plant proteins.
This food does not contain Ethoxyquin or artificial coloring agents. It does contain synthetic vitamin K identified as Menadione.
Oscarfish.Com Rating: 3 Stars
While we appreciate an absence of artificial coloring agents and controversial preservatives, an absence of plant proteins, excessive ratio of non-preferred proteins and fillers, and the inclusion of synthetic Vitamin K prevent a higher rating. The quality of the preferred proteins combined with an absence of artificial coloring agents and controversial preservatives justifies the 3 star rating.
Understanding Oscarfish.Com Ratings:
This review is an attempt to analyze the ingredients, rating them from 1 (worst) to 6 (best) in an effort to judge quality based upon three simple criteria.
- Absence of toxic, potentially toxic, and controversial ingredients
- Aquatic Animal protein and Preferred Plant Proteins as the primary protein sources
- A fully nutritious food to include necessary vitamins and minerals with natural sources of vitamins and minerals being preferred.
These basic concepts apply:
- Any food that utilizes Ethoxyquin, BHA, or BHT as preservatives, cannot rate higher than a 4 star food.
- Use of artificial colors prevents rating higher than a 4 star food.
- Any food that utilizes Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (Synthetic Vitamin K, aka K3) cannot rate higher than a 5 star food.
- Inclusion of the “Whole Fish”, or “Whole Krill” (in meal form or not) is preferred over fish meal or krill meal.
- In order to achieve a 5 or 6 star rating, the quality of the meal must be known.
- In order to achieve a 6 star rating, the “Whole Fish’ (or whole animal) must be used, either in meal form or in sufficient quantities outside of meal form.
- Inclusion of sufficient quantities of preferred plant proteins is a bonus with sufficient Spirulina content being a significant bonus.
- Use of prebiotics or probiotics is a bonus